Monday 13 April 2015

Thought-provoking problems. What's to come?

Hello everyone, a little soon to be posting after my previous post but I'm going to go into a little more detail here. I also would appreciate others thoughts regarding their own experiences after I've written this entry.

A lot of you will know it's been a tough time for me. My great great aunt passed on Friday which was sad. I also lost my remaining 2 girl rats who were very special to me. I've mentioned before a few times about losing someone I love so I don't need to say any more on that matter. I feel I've been treated unfairly after all I've done but rather than hate, I pray because I know they have a lot of issues going on. Then there's the usual frustrations which were playing on my mind as I realised I was a year older last Wednesday when I turned 24!

So regarding my aunts death, we (my mum and brother) were present as she died. She was unconscious when we got there and it was a strange experience as I'd never been present at something like that before. We didn't see her that often but we were the only family that visited. The night before Gracie (rat) was put to sleep and the same night as my aunt dying, Mags (rat) was put to sleep. I needed to rest on Saturday but ended up visiting the nursing home where my aunt was to sort her room. I needed to rest Sunday but was on the rota to help out with the young kids. It went well and I enjoyed it like I always do, but still no rest. Monday is here now and it's been relatively quiet, the funeral has been arranged and everything is going smoothly though tomorrow I'm driving out of town to register her death before the funeral next Tuesday. I had to get a shower today as I hadn't had 1 in 4 days, my skin starts to go very dry and irritable. It took a lot of effort but it needed to be done.

I also mentioned at some point that my GP wouldn't give me any more pain relief. She would, but she'd only put me back on what already didn't work for me. She needs 3 weeks to get a letter from my OT (who discharged me) which says I should be referred to a pain clinic. However, there's lots of forms to be filled out too totally unrelated to that. My ESA medical is coming up at the end of the month and the PIP forms need to be filled out. I'm sure there's more but I can't think at the minute. My doctor knows nothing about ME and is therefore not very good about the illness. She refuses to write support letters too and my OT was the only 1 who would do that.

It's crazy I even have to consider this but it just shows something needs to be done with regards to treatment for this illness. In fact, understanding is a good start which I'm not getting from the GP. She always refers to it as Chronic Fatigue anyway. ME and Chronic Fatigue are different things!!! I don't just get tired, I get pain, immune problems, intense brain fog, sensitivity to light/sound etc. Anyway... and hear me out before coming to conclusions... the thought to hospitalise myself has come to mind. I don't want to self-harm or overdose. I tried that and have overcome very bad depression. The reason I even have to consider this is because I feel trapped with my GP and her refusal to help me. If I overworked myself to the point where the pain was unbearable then maybe I'd be taken more notice of if I ended up in hospital? Of course I couldn't do it at this moment as it would be selfish considering my aunts funeral is coming up. Her local family probably won't be coming and her other nephew said he couldn't come if it was on Monday as he has to wait in for a phone call from age concern regarding food orders... honestly, I am not joking. This is why I'm so close to my mum, the rest of my family are incredibly selfish and don't care... Anyway, with lots of things coming up I could well end up a lot worse anyway which isn't really avoidable. Would the hospital give me pain relief if I was that bad? Well it's debatable, they wouldn't give me crutches when I had severe leg pains a couple of years back. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if they had the audacity to refer me to a psychologist. How can you win? It's not about winning, it's just about getting the right help you need.

Is it also wrong that I have to sort out my own aids to help me function? I'm having to invest in a shower seat, computer software as excessive typing hurts and a kitchen stool because I find it hard standing up when the pasta is boiling. I had to invest in my own walking sticks and crutches, I once had someone come round to the house to give me a walking stick but I was pretty taken aback by his response when he called round. He made no effort to hide the fact he was shocked it was me he came round to see so I just thought why bother.

I know times will get better and I'm wise enough not to do anything stupid, but there are things I really need to think through. A supportive doctor would make all the difference but the question is where do I find 1?

I'm sure a lot of you (most actually) have had these thoughts and it'd be interesting to see if you've had any solutions or if these problems are still wearing you down?

Thanks,

Barry x

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barry, I've found your blog through IG and am so sorry to hear of your struggles. I can relate to so much of what you have written here. It took me years to find an empathetic GP. It makes such a difference to have their ongoing support which it seems you do not have. You are entitled to see another Dr either within the same practice or via a different one. It'll became case of trial and error until the magic moment when you meet the right one. Please push for the referral to pain clinic. It was invaluable to me in actually being kind to myself and in managing other's expectations of me. My pain relief options were wider too but obviously you are 10 years younger than I and they say I'm young to be on such medication. I've recently started an elimination diet and that has helped with energy. Re the hospital thing, I have presented myself to trauma clinic and rheumatology clinic in the hope of someone listening and I have gone into a walk in emergency care unit when my lupus was attacking my organs. It seems like you are lacking the medical support and that can be typical I'm afraid but don't be afraid to push for the things you need. Try to see another gp and be as open as you have been in your blog and I hope they will respond. Take care of yourself, J9 :0)

    ReplyDelete